Is mould on cheeses safe to eat?

Posted by The Cheese Shop on 8th Jan 2020

Is mould on cheeses safe to eat?

We get a lot of questions regarding mould on cheeses. Well, here’s a great article to give a lowdown on mould on cheeses.

Here's what you need to know:

*Mould is part of the cheesemaking process. “Most cheeses owe their distinct deliciousness and texture to the microbiological alchemy that occurs when mould, bacteria, and other microorganisms feast on the proteins and sugars present in milk, transforming them into a wide range of flavourful compounds.”

*For bloomy rind cheeses, the rind is made of mould. During the maturing process, the mould on cheeses in patted down regularly forming the usually white rind around the cheese.

*Most mould is not harmful, but excessive mould growth will affect the taste of the cheese.

*If it’s just little dots of mould, you can cut the mould off, and the rest of the cheese is fine.

* Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Share with us your thoughts!

Read the article at https://www.bonappetit.com/story/is-moldy-cheese-okay

Photo credit: Photo by Jez Timms on Unsplash