This Mac N Cheese recipe is fantastic, especially for kids - cheesy without being overpowering, creamy and lots of hidden vegetables. Based on our experience, err on the side of too much - no leftovers are almost guaranteed!
We use two different cheeses in this recipe. Gruyere in the sauce base as it gives a slight nutty cheese flavour and it melts well, and Wykes Vintage Cheddar as the topping.
1 (450grams) package elbow macaroni
1/4 cup (55grams) cup butter
1/4 cup (32grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 pinch ground nutmeg
500g of cubed vegetables (i.e. carrots, peas, corn)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
100grams Gruyere Reserve, shredded
150grams Wykes Vintage Cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup (45grams) panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon (14.2grams) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked through but still slightly firm, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt 1/4 cup (55grams) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter starts to foam and bubble, stir in the flour; cook on medium heat until flour just begins to turn pale yellow, 3 to 4 minutes. Add thyme, cayenne pepper, and white pepper; cook and stir another minute, then whisk in 1 cup (250grams) of milk until smooth. Pour in remaining milk and whisk again. Bring the sauce just to a simmer.
- Stir in nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, and salt; simmer on medium-low heat until thickened, about 8 minutes, whisking often. Turn heat off, then add 100grams of Gruyere; stir until melted and combined. Add Dijon mustard.
- Transfer the macaroni into a casserole dish, add the cubed vegetables, then pour in the cheese sauce; stir to thoroughly combine sauce with pasta and vegetables.
- Mix panko bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon (14.5 grams) melted butter in a small bowl, and sprinkle crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle remaining 150grams of Wykes Vintage Cheddar on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread crumbs and Cheddar cheese topping are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Chef John’s Macaroni and Cheese from AllRecipes.com